Nostalgic for the Arkansan Thrift Scene

This past Sunday I met up with friends, new and old, for El Rastro. El Rastro is a huge Sunday street market here in Salamanca, similar to the one I visited in Madrid. However, this time around I actually brought my camera (although the threat of pickpockets was still applicable). I'm sorry to report that it is not the goldmine of vintage that I hoped for. After snaking through the various stalls, I found a shabby one with what looked like a small pile of second-hand garments laid out on a blanket...but they looked straight out of the nineties, late nineties, early millennium...not exactly what I want to find.

I must say, El Rastro is a great place to snag some decent knock-offs and pirated merchandise. I left empty-handed, partly due to not finding anything and to only having 20 euro bills. The Spaniards aren't too keen on breaking a twenty here. 



All in all, it was an interesting experience...albeit a scorching hot one. At least I am able to say I went, instead of hoping I had. I only spent 2 euros on the bus ride round-trip. I was really hoping to find a bargain on a leather backpack, but only found one booth and they didn't have the color nor the size that I desire. 

Needless to say, I really miss my thrift store haunts back home. The shopping here is great, but nothing can really beat finding that unique piece at that bargain price. I shall console myself in knowing that the majority of these stores cannot be found in Little Rock and that it's still the month of rebajas.

On another note, For Your Viewing Pleasure: Mixing Euro with the Thrifted
->Straw Fedora, Marshalls
->Cream Bodysuit, TJ Maxx
->Salmon Short-Sleeved Cardigan, Vintage
->Floral High-Waisted Skirt, H&M
-Strappy Wedge Sandals, Mary Paz
->Gold Leaf Pendant Necklace, Vintage

I opted to stay in tonight because last night was a bit much. Perhaps I'll finally get my Vonnegut novel read! I did go see a Flamenco show tonight and took plenty of pictures...now I just need to weed out the bad ones. Tomorrow I have planned a trip to El Corte Ingles, a mega 6-floor chain store here. And then it's kareoke night at the Irish Rover! Until next time. ♥

Amanda  – (July 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM)  

It sounds like you're having a great time there, even though the vintage selection isn't too great! Good luck with finding that perfect backpack, and I love this outfit on you :)

Amanda

Post a Comment

♥♥♥

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP