Literal Netbook Sleeve

I had convinced myself that I wouldn't...but I did. I gave in and bought myself a netbook for my trip to Spain. I wanted a cute sleeve for it but couldn't find anything under 20 bucks that wasn't black and I also didn't feel like spending any more cash. I really ought to get my spending under control! The knit comes from this cardigan I thrifted from Goodwill ages ago. I wore it and eventually decided the fit was off so I took scissors to it and saved it in my scrap bin for future use. It took over a year. Whoops!

Here's the cutesy lil' netbook. It's black. I typically like for my gadgets to be black, choosing to customize them with cool accessories. I get to avoid the commitment of a crazy color choice that I may later regret.

The netbook is so small, I could easily stretch it into a sleeve from the cardigan. 
Hence, the Literal Netbook Sleeve. 
Man, the contrast of technology to the knit makes me way too excited. 
It appeals to both my nerdy and artsy sides. Who says you can't have it both ways?

The entire project took less than 30 minutes from start to finish. I pinned the sweater and used my machine to sew up on end and left the other open so I could slip in the netbook, of course!

This elastic was salvaged from some shirt and still had the snipped strings hanging off from it where I had seamed-ripped it away. Attaching it to a safety-pin makes it that much easier to thread through the path I created for it. 
This way, the opening can stretch to accommodate the netbook and close in around it, 
to prevent it from slipping out in some freak of nature accident. 

Here you can see what I'm talking about. It looks like my Literal Netbook Sleeve has a red-lipped mouth! 
Haha, adding googley eyes would be a bit much, but I can't help but laugh as I seriously consider it.

The finished product: The Literal Netbook Sleeve.
Cost: Nothing. I had all the supplies on hand.

OH! I also whipped up this matching cozy for my water bottle to soak up the sweat if my drink's too cold. 
It's wonderful to upcycle and find new life for discarded items. 
Plus, it costs nothing and it's completely original! The sleeve could probably use some interfacing to provide extra protection, 
but I don't exactly plan to bang my netbook around like a crazed rockstar smashing his guitar onstage in a fit of testosterone. 
I just want to avoid scratching up my new toy.

I head to the land o' the Sexy Spaniards in 3 days!

Oh, My Darling  – (June 28, 2010 at 9:36 PM)  

Aw, what a cozy sleeve for your adorable teensy computer!

Meream  – (June 29, 2010 at 1:14 PM)  

I think I love your blog. So pretty! And so are you! :)

Post a Comment

♥♥♥

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP