Elephunky: Riddle Elephant Sanctuary in Guy, Arkansas


One of the lovely perks of being in the Donaghey Scholars Program is the students. For example, my friend Tatiana's family owns an elephant sanctuary in Guy, Arkansas. On Saturday, we all loaded up and traveled over to spend the day with elephants...in Arkansas!


It was such a wonderful experience; I've never been this close to an elephant ever before in my life. Cammy came along for the ride so I could document this event in a trillion photos. (Trillion as in, 168 or so). They were such sweeties! They held really still to get glamour shots and were extremely calm. And beautiful.

Some of the elephants are circus retirees, so they still have a couple of tricks up their...trunk? (Haha, lame...bah-dum-cha!) I believe this Asian elephant in particular's name is Boop, short for Betty Boop. Precioussssss!

Outfit-wise: I wanted to dress sensibly, so I threw on my Donaghey Scholars t-shirt, Free People shorts (1/2 of 1/2, $10), leather Toms-like shoes (Savers, $4), black shoulder bag (Thrifted), and a straw fedora (Marshalls, $9). Tatiana told me that she liked my safari outfit. Totally unintentional.

Occasionally I forget about getting my picture taken. I'm almost always lost behind the lens. Fortunately, Cyrene offered to take some photos. It's so breathtaking standing next to such a majestic creature...


Until, that is, it tries to eat you (must've been the straw fedora)...but not really. I like to think that Boop and I are both smiling in this photo.

Cyrene was handing back my camera just as this trunk was inching near. I didn't have time to look through the view-finder but took the shot anyways. I'm glad I did.

We couldn't get as close to this male African elephant because they're more aggressive. (Stupid boys!) However, this pup (Lucy?) isn't even fazed by the much larger creature just a few feet away.

BABY ELEPHANT! Zomahgarshhh, this had to have been the most freakin' adorable thing that I've ever seen in my life!!! Mrs.Riddle called mommy and baby over to the fence, and next thing you know, there's this precious bundle of joy that jumbles over. I think he's smiling!

We got to hand-feed them carrots...and were thanked with elephant trunk slobber. Om nom nom!

Looking straight ahead at such a majestic creature.

In the gift shop: I didn't buy this particular critter, but instead took various shots of it so I can mentally dismantle it...and make my own. My roomie's been itchin' for her own critter. However, I did buy this awesome pin-cushion as my souvenir. The base is wood carved with elephants.
A practical reminder of a beautiful day with the elephants.

Starr Crow  – (April 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM)  

this looks like so much fun Myriam! what an experience that must have been. i love the shot of the trunk in your face. look how small the man standing beside it looks from that angle!

so cool your going to Lolla. too! I went a couple years ago and had the time of my life. the weather is PERFECT in comparison to Bonnaroo. Best moment while I was there: sitting in Grant Park with the Chicago skyline on my right and the pretty lakes to my left. Radiohead playing in front of me and fireworks going off behind them. i get chills just thinking about it!

And did you say you got the same rings at Salvation Army? there was so many of them! they really are the cheapest things ever, but they're unlike any other rings i've ever come upon at the thrift store!

Natalie Suarez  – (April 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM)  

amazing! looks like such an awesome day :)

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Cindy Van Dyck  – (April 29, 2010 at 10:39 AM)  

Hay dear!
How are you?
It's my first visit on your blog and he's really nice!

It would be nice of you, if you check my blog too! And maybe we can follow eachother?
Let me know!

Love, Cindy.

Unknown  – (May 4, 2010 at 11:30 PM)  

Feelin' the new banner yawl! :D

Post a Comment

♥♥♥

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP